William's Blog...with a smile!

head_left_image

Near tragedy averted...

Yes it was close.

A near tragedy was averted because of a bathroom call at 3 am.

Many people have wood burning fireplaces and or small wood stoves.

They are a great source of a supplemental source of heat.

 

Here is the story:

Mr. homeowner cleaned  out the ashes from the fire place.

 

Set them by the door to take out in the morning when he headed to work. 

He awoke for a nature call and when he got into the hallway he smelled Smoke.

 

Quickly checked the bedrooms and then went downstairs.

To his surprise, the smoke was coming from t he ash bucket.

 

The issue was that the pail was melting!  Yes Melting.

He was using a plastic pail for the ashes and is was smoldering and dripping onto the floor.

 

If you are one of those that are using wood to burn, make sure you are safely disposing of the ashes.

It could be a disaster in the making.

 

 

Comment balloon 16 commentsWilliam Feela • January 12 2019 04:22PM

Comments

Wow! It is a good thing that he needed a bathroom break and the story ended well. Thanks for sharing I hope you have a great weekend.

Posted by Pat Champion, Call the "CHAMPION" for all your real estate needs (Coldwell Banker Camelot Realty) about 1 month ago

Good morning,  William - lesson learned. Hopefully. Fortunately this was not a Darwin-award  winning contest  submission 

Posted by Michael Jacobs, Los Angeles Pasadena 818.516.4393 about 1 month ago

Oh my gosh, that's a scary one isn't it? We use a metal bucket for our ashes, and would NEVER leave them inside - even inside the garage. We always take them out and douse them with water before putting out in the compost pile. I'm so glad this ended well and an grateful he had to get up during the night. D 

Posted by Debb Janes EcoBroker and Bernie Stea JD, REALTORS® in Clark County, WA (ViewHomes of Clark County - Nature As Neighbors) about 1 month ago

Several years ago, I recall a neighbor putting ashes in a trash bin next to his home.  It ignited the other contents of the bin, and had it not been for a neighbor who caught the smoke and flames from his bedroom window, a couple houses would have been in danger.

Posted by Myrl Jeffcoat, Greater Sacramento Real Estate Agent (GreatWest Realty) about 1 month ago

Wow. This is a great lesson to share.

Have a safe weekend.

Posted by Roy Kelley (Realty Group Referrals) about 1 month ago

I thought you would enjoy this photograph by Charles Wilson.

Stars over Minnesota

Image may contain: night and sky
 
 
Posted by Roy Kelley (Realty Group Referrals) about 1 month ago

Great PSA, William - you certainly cannot be too careful with those ashes.

Posted by Debe Maxwell, CRS, Charlotte Homes for Sale - Charlotte Neighborhoods (www.iCharlotteHomes.com | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | (704) 491-3310) about 1 month ago

Yikes! We use a metal bucket for our ashes; and we usually don't put them in the bucket until at least 24 hours after the fire's out, and even then sometimes there are still embers. Anyone with a fire must be careful!

Posted by Kat Palmiotti, The House Kat (Grand Lux Realty, Monroe NY, 914-419-0270, kat@thehousekat.com) about 1 month ago

He is very lucky we woke up and caught that melting pail - he really did avert what could have been a horrible tragedy.

Posted by Francine Viola, REALTOR®, In Tune with your Real Estate Needs (Coldwell Banker Evergreen Olympic Realty, Olympia WA) about 1 month ago

I am extremely careful with my wood stove ash William Feela 

Posted by Paul S. Henderson, REALTOR®, CRS, Tacoma Washington Agent/Broker & Market Authority! (RE/MAX Northwest.) about 1 month ago

Morning again William

Thankfully, I have never really wanted a wood burning fireplace.  While they give warmth to the home, they are just too much work for me.

Posted by James Dray, Exceptional Agents, Outstanding Results (Fathom Realty AR LLC) about 1 month ago

Good morning William. OMG....how close was this to disaster. Not smart, not smart at all,

Posted by Sheila Anderson, The Real Estate Whisperer Who Listens 732-715-1133 (Referral Group Incorporated) about 1 month ago

WEll they do say most fires are from some careless act.  Caution needs to be taken

Posted by Vern Eaton, Realtor 651-674-7449 about 1 month ago

William Feela - This is certainly a good warning about the plastic pail and leaving hot embers and ashes inside while you go to bed. Thank God for nature called! The results, if he had not been awoken would have been tragic. 

When it comes to safety, I know with 100% certainty you take this very seriously. 

Posted by Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP, Selling Homes Changing Lives (DFW FINE PROPERTIES) about 1 month ago

This is a good lesson for everyone with wood stoves and fireplaces. I am sure he will never use a plastic bucket again to deposit ashes from the fireplace.   

Posted by Rebecca Gaujot, Realtor®, Lewisburg WV, the go to agent for all real estate (Vision Quest Realty, Martha Hilton, Broker) about 1 month ago

Oh my ... what a story - this was great information to share.

Posted by Maria Sapio, Real Estate Agent- Carlisle, PA. Mariasapio.com (Berkshire Hathaway Homesale Realty) about 1 month ago

Participate