There are a lot of steps to settle when building new.
1. Do you have a floor plan?
2.Do you have a competent builder?
3. If you have a plan, is the builder willing to use it?
4. Do you have land picked out.
5. If a lot in a development do you understand the restrictions.?
6. A non-development lot, have you checked with the governing Authority as to your plans?
7. The floor plan, was it professionally drawn or just a sketch you made?
8. Are you willing to change the plan some if it dos not meet building specs.
9. Have you talked with a lender.
10. Have gotten your construction loan and permanent loan all set?
Now I can go on and on.
These steps can take a few weeks or a few months.
If you are going to build new, you have to get started right away before the builders are all booked up.